Sage stands for “System for Algebra and Geometry Experimentation”; it is a free, and open source application. The design goal of this tool is to combine the features and powers of multiple mathematical applications into one. It has been a widely popular mathematical application and being used all across the globe by students, mathematicians, scientists and other professionals. The very first version of this application was released in 2005 and it has been under constant development since then.
Here are some of the noteworthy features of this free application. Kindly note that it has an exceptionally long list of features, we have listed only few most important ones below.
- It offers a browser based notbook for review of inputs and ouputs. This notebook is compatible with all popular modern browsers.
- Learn calculus and Numerical Linear Algebra using tools like NumP,SymPy and Maxima etc.
- Generation of 2D and 3D graphs and matrix manipulations.
- Statistics and graph theory related libraries and tools.
- Support for complex numbers, elementary and special mathematical operations.
- Support for advanced mathematical operations like arbitrary precision and symbolic computation.
- Provides a toolkit to add various user interfaces to calculations.
- Combines the features of many popular applications like Magma, Maple, Mathematica and Matlab etc.
Installing Sage on Ubuntu 15.04
Let’s see how we can install this application on Ubuntu 15.04 operating system. Due to its popularity it has already been added to PPA for ubuntu package manager. Launch your ubuntu system terminal and run following command to add Sage PPA to APT package manager.
Now run following command to update APT package manager respos.
Now run following command to install Sage mathematical utility.
It should take a sweet amount of time to download and install all packages. Once done, you can launch it from Applications menu.
Start using your favorite mathematical application on Ubuntu Linux now.
If you are involved in complex mathematical operations on daily basis, then this app is a “must-have” for you. This app shows the true power of open source school of thought, such an amazing application available free of cost is a blessing.